Monday, December 2, 2013

Musings of a Mom: New Year's Resolution, Firsts At School, and More

Newsfeed: Someone told me its been awhile since they've seen a post.  Yes-it's been over 4 months!  My answer- I've been busy!  I could give you a whole list of things-you know the piles of dirty AND clean laundry, all the cooking, cleaning, nose wiping, diaper changing that I've been doing, but I'm sure every mom is in that same boat.  And besides, that just makes my life seem stressful, overwhelming, and each little detail just another chore.

I've been reflecting on the my New Year's Resolutions (the new church year started yesterday-the 1st day of Advent-in the Catholic Church). All these things I've been doing are more than just work. It's part of this totally awesome vocation I have called motherhood!  Raising saints for God-it's my ultimate call of duty.  Now that's busy like nobody's business!!  Not only is every detail-work and play-to be dedicated to them (and ultimately to God), but you're also working on attaining that sainthood yourself. 

So my new year's resolution is to first remember this responsibility as I arise each morning and second to ask for God's grace to fulfill it in a loving, cheerful, and totally surrendering fashion so that I might not loose sight of my mission.

I think it's time to change my voice mail message: "Hi, its Danielle.  I can't come to the phone right now; I'm busy raising saints.  Leave me a message and I'll get back to you when our halo shining lesson is finished!"  

The greatest honor God can do a soul is not to give it much, but ask much of it.
-St. Therese of Lisieux

And tell me, do you play with your children? Do you waste time with your children?  The free gift of a parent's time is so important.  
-recent words from Pope Francis

I'm Reading:  Patience and Humility by William Ullathorne (for advent)

From the Kitchen: Canning season is over and my kitchen counter top is a little less crowded.  I'll be honest, I don't particularly like to can food-it's not a simple task especially with little ones. Every winter, however, those long, hot summer and fall hours spent in the kitchen seem to dissipate when you see all the food lined in the pantry and freezers knowing that you won't have to buy 'that' or make 'this'.  

With 173 jars of pickles, saurerkraut, tomatoes, salsas, beans, peaches. . .and numerous ziplocs of various fruits and vegies in the freezer, I'm feeling like a squirrel with food all stored up for winter!  (Thanks mom for teaching me how to scavenger and prepare!)
Here's my last fresh produce from our garden-a batch of fresh salsa.  For some weird reason, I always get excited about eating the last of the tomatoes from the garden around Thanksgiving time.  We just finished it last night! 

The Kids:
Dominic

                                         Dominic's 1st day of Kindergarten

No, I didn't cry his first day-he was ready; I was ready.  After awhile it was getting pretty hectic in the mornings making him a snack and lunch for school, cooking breakfast, reminding him every 2 minutes to get ready for school, dressing the girls, not to mention getting myself at least out of my pj's.  I told him it was time to walk to school on his own. "Couldn't we just wait until I turn 6?" he asked. I knew he wasn't ready yet and told myself I could stick it out for a few more weeks.  
                           
                                                    Dominic (and mom) happy for his birthday

His first day to walk to school by himself he cried; I teared up watching him sniffle and then wipe away his tears.  But I knew I couldn't give in because then he'd never do it on his own. We talked about making sure we look both ways at the Church driveways.  We talked about his special friend that God gave just to him.  So you see, he really isn't walking to school on his own.  He's got a faithful friend EVERYDAY for the rest of his life. 

 And you know what, he hasn't cried or even bemoaned the fact that mom doesn't walk him to school.  Since then he seems to accomplish new things everyday: tying his own shoes, riding his bike without training wheels, reading books, and writing up a storm. 

Joanna
Putting her into words is not so easy.  Dominic calls her a "yak". She is shy if she doesn't know you, but look out if she does!  She is full of energy and spunk.   She's quick in defending herself and her 3 year old logic has caused some power struggles. Contentious is a good adjective for her.  

She has become my big helper now that Dominic is gone during the day.  She likes to vacuum and help fold washrags and socks.  I'm sure one of the highlights of her year was the gymnastics class she took.  She loved it-from getting to go somewhere (she's always asking), to exerting some of her energy, to gawking at the other girls there.  
                         Joanna is second from left in the back row  (thanks Dad for taking picture)

She got her second haircut this fall, mainly to help manage her wound  (see previous post)  The scar where she received 4 staples is hardly noticeable and is well hidden by her hair. The wound that should have had staples caused a roller coaster ride.  It's looking much better, no longer hurts her, and we're praying that hair will grow once again.


                   
                                                               before her haircut
                               
                                                                                                    after haircut
                                               

Tessa
It's hard to believe Tessa is nearly a year old!  She loves to mimic, watch her big brother and sister, and join in on the fun.  She is a loving little gal-full of hugs and kisses-she'll even go up to her brother and sister to kiss them when they are crying.  She loves for you to play silly with her and her latest thing is to throw herself backwards when you are holding her if she thinks its play time.  She constantly pulls off her socks-what a game!

Her latest words are "uh oh"  and newest signs are "all done' and "bye".  Sign language for "more" just makes her laugh.  She loves singing time and prayer time.  Before bed, Dominic reads a short story from his early reader book, then Joanna gets her turn at "reading".  Last night, Tessa pulled down a magazine and was "talking" right along as if she knew what to do.  

Her other pasttimes include flushing the toilet (ummm, really anything that involves the toilet), getting into cabinets-favorites are the ones filled with games, underneath the kitchen sink, and her ultimate-getting in the coconut oil bucket that is supposed to be hidden!  She keeps me on my feet!





Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving!

Look for my upcoming post: I'm An Aunt!  

No comments:

Post a Comment